Things to Know Before Hiring a Skip
What can I put in the skip?
- Electrical Equipment (apart from computers and televisions)
- Green waste
- Hard Core (e.g bricks and rubble)
- Packaging (including polystyrene)
- Paper & Cardboard
- Soil (uncontaminated)
What can't I put in the skip?
- Batteries (all types, including car)
- Compressed Gas Cylinders
- Computer & Television Screens (fluorescent tubes)
- Food waste
- Fridges & Freezers
- Medical Waste of any kind
- Other Chemicals or Harmful Substances
- Paint Tins (unless completely empty)
- Solvents (e.g paint & glue)
** If plasterboard is placed in the skip, it must be bagged/sheeted and placed on the top of the load. It should also represent no more than 20% of the total volume of the skip content, otherwise a plasterboard specific skip will be required. Failure to adhere to this may result in a further charge to the customer.**
|Mini – Ideal for home or small building jobs. Mixed or Heavy waste.||3 yd||1.0 m||1.8 m||1.5 m|
|Midi – Ideal for home or small building jobs. Mixed or Heavy waste.||4 yd||1.1 m||2.4 m||1.5 m|
|Builders – Standard skip used by builders. Mixed or Heavy waste. The is the largest skip available for heavy only waste.||6 yd||1.1 m||3.3 m||1.8 m|
|Large – Ideal for large domestic jobs and building sites for their lighter mixed waste. Cannot be used for soil.||8 yd||1.2 m||3.4 m||1.8 m|
|Large – Suitable for very large building projects or industrial waste. Light waste only. Cannot be used for rubble or soil.||10 yd||1.3 m||3.6 m||1.8 m|
|Extra Large – Suitable for larger projects. Light waste only. Cannot be used for rubble or soil.||12 yd||1.6 m||3.4 m||1.8 m|
Skip Hire Period
The maximum hire period is 2 weeks.
When ordering you are able to submit a collection date. If no date is given with the order or if after delivery no contact by telephone or website has been made for collection of the skip, the skip will be automatically collected.
If you require the skip on site longer than 2 weeks, please call the office to arrange an extension and a later collection date.
Will I need a Road Permit for my skip?
If the skip is being placed on private property or land, a Road Permit is not required.
If the skip is put on a privately owned road, a Road Permit is not required.
If a skip is placed on council property, verges or the public highway you will require a Road Permit under the Highways Act 1980.
Skip Road Permits can only be obtained by a skip hire company from your local Council and 3 – 5 working days are required to process and obtain the permit. Where required, skips will not be delivered until a Road Permit has been obtained.
Lights and Cones are also supplied by the company for a small one-off fee.
Please refer to section 8 of our terms and conditions for further information regarding permits.
What you need to know about delivery & placement of the skip
Skip lorries are large, if you are having a skip placed on your property you need to consider a few things:
- Can the land/drive the skip will rest on take the weight of the skip and contents without doing any damage?
- If the skip lorry needs to drive on to your property, is there enough width for the lorry to manoeuvre? Can the land/drive support the lorry weight? Are there any height restrictions?
- If the hirer requests the vehicle delivering or collecting the skip to leave the public highway they shall fully indemnify the company in respect of any loss, costs, claims, damages or expenses whether as a result of personal injury or as a result of damage to the vehicle itself or to any property of the hirer or third parties (including driveways/verges etc.)
- If you think delivery and placement of the skip on your property will not be straight forward i.e. height restrictions or restricted access as to where the skip will be placed, please call the office before ordering or include as much information as possible on the booking page in the delivery section.
- We have a smaller lorry available for jobs with difficult access. Please call us to book your skip if you think you will require a small lorry to deliver/collect your skip.
What will incur an extra charge?
Fires – Any skip damaged by fire whilst on hire to you will be charged at the full replacement cost of the skip.
Level loads – If a skip is overloaded by weight or volume we reserve the right to levy an additional charge for any costs incurred.
Cancellation – The company reserves the right to charge the customer for any costs incurred as a result of a cancellation or substantial variation to an order less than 48 hours before their booking.
Hazardous Waste – Should any hazardous waste be identified the company reserves the right to leave the skip on site, incurring a further charge to the hirer, until the said waste has been removed by the hirer.
In the event that hazardous waste is identified after collection of the skip during the waste clearing process, the company reserves the right to charge for non permitted items found or to return the item(s) to the hirer at its sole discretion. The current fee for processing non permitted waste is £850 +VAT
Permits – If a Road Permit is required, you will be charged the cost of the Permit and any subsequent renewal required, in addition to a one off fee for the supply of lights and cones. Any damage to lights and/or cones will also be chargeable at the full replacement cost of the item(s).
Wait and Load – An additional charge will be levied if, when using this service, our driver is required to wait for longer than 30 minutes. The current fee is £65 +VAT per hour or part thereof.
Loss/Damages – Any loss of or damage caused to property of the company during the hire period will be charged to the customer.
Charges – If charges are not paid the entire skip load will be returned to the original location and tipped. A return charge of £100 +VAT will be incurred.
Unless otherwise agreed by the company in writing, these terms and conditions shall apply to all orders placed
Using the wait & load service
The Wait & Load service is available on all skip sizes.
The Wait & Load service can be used when you do not want to have a skip placed on your property and want to save the cost of obtaining a Road Permit.
When the lorry arrives, you have a maximum of thirty minutes to fill the skip with your waste. The lorry will leave whether or not you have completed loading after thirty minutes, or you can agree to be charged additional time at £65 + VAT per hour or part thereof.
Please note that we cannot offer a Wait & Load service in a restricted area e.g. yellow lines.